Design the masthead and the cover of a new magazine devoted solely to things that are associated with the idea of blue.
Time Limit: 60 Minutes
Pen and paper
BRAINSTORMING: 5 MINUTES
I started the challenge with my trusty timer in hand and set aside 5 minutes for just brainstorming themes associated with the word "Blue". They ranged from "blue sky ideas" to "glaciers" and "navy blue fashion". I sketched samples of magazine covers for themes I was exploring along the way.
The theme of the magazine that I chose was the idea of navy blue fashion and pairing it with other colors. For the longest time, I always heard "don't put black and blue together!" However, today we instead hear that navy blue is a neutral and can go with everything. I wanted to play with this idea and create a fashion magazine for dressing up the typical black and blue work wardrobe for a modern play on classic clothing.
I sketched a layout for the cover including image ideas, and placement of text.
This was one of the most difficult challenges to date. While I spent the majority of the 60 minute challenge working on the actual design, it was no where close to a complete design at the end of the hour.
I spent the majority of this time finding images that would fit into the design. While photos are important for a cover, it's the logo and the design language of the text that is consistent from cover to cover, so it has to be right. I should have started with the design language first and then tackled the imagery.
Since I wasn't finished at the end of the hour, I could have taken extra time at the end of the challenge to complete the design. However, I stepped away to reflect about the experience and I think this gave me a better perspective about what to do differently next time. I had a plan for how to use my time wisely, with dividing the time between brainstorming, sketching and actual design. However, I didn't tackle the most difficult part first, which included the font and color choices. If I had created a design language first, instead of trying to do it as I was working in InDesign, I don't think I would have spent so much of my 60 minutes experimenting.